Important Inventions and Discoveries in World » Exercise – 1
1. Who invented the BALLPOINT PEN?
(a) Biro Brothers
(b) Waterman Brothers
(c) Bicc Brothers
(d) Write Brothers
2. What is the name of the CalTech seismologist who invented the scale used to measure the magnitude of earthquakes?
(a) Charles Richter
(b) Hiram Walker
(c) Giuseppe Mercalli
(d) Joshua Rumble
3. When was barb wire patented?
4. In which decade was the first solid state integrated circuit demonstrated?
5. Which scientist discovered the radioactive element radium?
(a) Isaac Newton
(b) Albert Einstein
(c) Benjamin Franklin
(d) Marie Curie
- 51. What African-American inventor received 5 patents in the field of shoemaking? (a) Elijah McCoy (b) Jan Ernst Matzeliger (c) Ernest Just (d) Lewis Latimer 52. This part-time race car driver invented the bucket seat in 1969. Who was he?? (a) Steve McQueen (b) Harrison Frazier (c) Paul Newman (d) John Wayne 53. The Manhattan Project was started by President Roosevelt in 1942 to ensure that the U.S. beat the Germans in developing a nuclear bomb. Whom did Roosevelt appoint as scientific head the Manhattan Project? (a) Robert Oppenheimer (b) James B. Conant (c) Leslie R. Groves (d) Vannevar Bush 54. Who is the English physicist responsible for the 'Big Bang Theory'? (a) Albert Einstein (b) Michael Skube (c) George Gamow (d) Roger Penrose 55. This African-American woman physical therapist worked with soldiers disabled in World War II. She invented a device that helped the disabled to eat by delivering food through a tube to a mouthpiece. (a) Bessie Blount (b) Marjorie Joyner (c) Mae Jamison (d) Beulah Henry 56. William Frederick is credited with the invention of the modern frisbee in the mid 1950's. In 1957 the Wham-O Company bought his idea and the rest is history. They named…