10. Programmable logic devices (PLDs) are the key technology in the future of digital systems.
11. A programmable logic device (PLD) is an IC that contains a large number of logic gates whose interconnections can be programmed by the user to generate the desired logic relationship between inputs and outputs.
12. To program a PLD, you need a development system that consists of a computer, PLD development software, and a programmer fixture that does the actual programming of the PLD chip.
13. PLDs can reduce parts inventory, simplify prototype circuitry, shorten the development cycle, reduce the size and power requirements of the product, and allow the hardware of a circuit to be upgraded easily.
14. The major digital system categories are standard logic, applicationspecific integrated circuits (ASICs), and microprocessor/digital signal processing (DSP) devices.
15. ASIC devices may be programmable logic devices (PLDs), gate arrays, standard cells, or full-custom devices.
16. PLDs are the least expensive type of ASIC to develop.
17. Simple PLDs (SPLDs) contain the equivalent of 600 or fewer gates and are programmed with fuse, EPROM, or EEPROM technology.
18. High-capacity PLDs (HCPLDs) have two major architectural categories : complex programmable logic devices (CPLDs) and field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs).
19. The most common CPLD programming technologies are EEPROM and flash, both of which are nonvolatile.
20. The most common FPGA programming technology is SRAM, which is volatile.
21. The GAL 16V8 is one of the simplest PLDs available but is still widely used and demonstrates the basic principles behind all PLDs.
22. The Altera EPM7128S CPLD contains 128 macrocells, each of which contains a programmable AND/OR circuit and a programmable register.
23. The EPM7128SLC84 can have up to 68 inputs and outputs.
24. The MAX7000S family of CPLDs is in-system programmable (ISP).
25. The Altera FLEX10K and Cyclone families of devices use a look-up table (LUT) architecture in an SRAM technology.
26. SRAM programming technology is volatile, meaning that the devices must be reconfigured at power-up.
Be a Part of The New & Next
Share the Knowledge